Monday, February 11, 2013

Review: The Story of Rachel by K.D. McLean


The Story of Rachel (Tales of Pandora)

3.5 Stars


Rachel Collins is praying. And not for world peace. Thirty six years old and single, her prayer is self-centered. "Kill me now, Lord," she pleads during her latest attempt to meet Mr. Right via the internet.

She’s not hoping for a billionaire or even a millionaire, just a guy who can strike a spark to her tinder! Is she asking too much? She's a great gal! Just ask her parents! She might be a bit naive about some things, but capable enough- she's a correspondent for a major magazine, after all. So there!

On assignment she meets Michael, 42 years old, also a writer. The attraction is immediate and intense. Rachel, who sees vanilla as only a baking ingredient, enchants him. Michael can whip up some pretty hot delights himself, outside of the kitchen. He introduces a curious Rachel to powerful experiences of sensuality. Her Ladylike sense of propriety engages in a running battle with her now sparked Tinderbox desires.

Michael is an excellent cook and knows how to turn up the heat. Sampling the flavors offered, Rachel experiences humorous hiccups. On a date, Michael ramps up the risqué, resulting in a memorable skirt swirling salsa dance. Rachel's "What the hell, I ain't getting any younger" attitude spurs Michael to take her to the exclusive, adults only club Pandora's. Here, Rachel witnesses even more variations of earthly delights, and begins a lifelong friendship with another guest.

Michael is a realist, convinced that within 90 days, his affair with Rachel will be but another painful memory of loss. He is neither willing nor able to yell 'Geronimo' and fall for her. He can't, and that's that.

Maybe he should just get a damn dog.

This modern, urban, grown up love story is a recipe –three cups romance and one cup of slapdash humor. Blend in spices of eroticism, and beat until smooth.

    My Thoughts; At first when I started reading this I was on the fence. I couldn't decide if I liked it. I am a little quirky when it comes to reading a book so sometimes I have to push my character flaws aside so I can truly read a book and see it for what it is. ( I will explain momentarily)

    I really enjoyed Rachel's personality. She reminded me of myself a lot of times. She is able to laugh at the serious stuff and make jokes about even the most mundane things. She is a smart, independent woman just looking for a guy to share her time with. Hence the internet dating profile.... Epic fail!

   Michael is also a very successful individual who just wants to find someone to share his spare time with. IF she would like to explore the 'dominate' side of his personality even better. However is never strikes me as a make or break it type of personality trait. 

  He and Rachel hit it off quite nicely and begin and not so whirlwind love affair. Michael has decided to take things slow with Rachel and so the story goes from there. I really did enjoy the story once I got passed the aforementioned quirkiness. Which I will explain now. Rachel seems to have the same sort of 'inner personality disorder' as another young woman we know. Rachel's inner personalities are known as Tinderbox and Ladylike. This little thing, as minor as it is, almost made me want to stop reading. It was WAY too, Inner Goddess for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the inner goddess but she doesn't live in Rachel's story she lives somewhere else entirely. After I took a few minutes to regroup I sat back down and said, 'Ok, we are gonna read this... we are gonna put aside our nit-pickiness... and we are gonna see what this book has going on. After I was able to do those things, I really did enjoy it. The story was quite good. And honestly had it not been for the little issue we just discussed  I may have even given it 4 stars. 



No comments:

Post a Comment