Monday, May 7, 2012

This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

3 Stars
(Night Huntress book 5)

Danger waits on both sides of the grave.

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance...

With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally"--the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war. ...to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.

Amazon.com description


My thoughts;  I am kind of at a loss for words. Generally when I finish a book I immediately sit down and type out my review. I want things fresh in my mind. But with this one I don't really know what to say. For reasons that I can not seem to figure out, this book did not hold my attention like the previous ones in this series did. Maybe I should have taken a break and came back later. Maybe it was because I realized halfway through that I was suppose to read Mencheres book, Eternal Kiss of Darkness, before this one. Some things were mentioned during this one and I was both lost and covering my eyes because I didn't want it to give anything away. I have stated numerous times that I will not even read the back of a book if it is part of a series I am reading. I like to experience the story as it is happening and I am always scared that the synopsis will give something away. So the fact that there were details mentioned in this book about Mencheres story kinda bummed me out. I also think that a certain part of this story hit me to close to home. I related personally to something that happens and it made it difficult for me to read.

I don't want to turn anyone away from this story at all. I love Cat and Bones and I feel that they reached a new level in their relationship in this book. We get to see more of Vlad, who I LOVE, as well as the other characters who I adore. I still highly recommend this series to anyone. As with all series books there will always be that one that just didn't do it for you. Well this one was mine. Now, I will back track and read Eternal Kiss of Darkness so I can be back on the right track. But first, I must step away from this world and take a trip to a few others I have been missing. Stay tuned...

Happy Reading!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment