Monday, May 28, 2012

Providence by Jamie McGuire

4 Stars
(Providence series book 1)

In the old world shadows of Providence, Rhode Island, Nina Grey finds herself the center of a war between Hell and Earth.

Struggling with her father’s recent death, Nina meets Jared Ryel by chance…or so she believes. Although his stunning good looks and mysterious talents are a welcome distraction, it soon becomes clear that Jared knows more about Nina than even her friends at Brown University. When questions outnumber answers, Jared risks everything to keep the woman he was born to save—by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.

When her father’s former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father is not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. Searching for the truth behind her father’s death, Nina stumbles upon something she never expected—something Hell wants—and only she holds the key.

Amazon.com description

My thoughts; I have read a couple of angel series' and as a general rule, I am not really a fan. I read Hush Hush because the cover grabbed my attention and I liked it enough to keep reading the series. I have read the FA series by JR Ward and will also continue that series because, well, it's JR WARD, duh! I have tried to start a couple of others but they just didnt hook me. I am therefore very surprise and extremely happy to admit that I absolutely loved Providence. It was recommended to me along with Beautiful Disaster, also by McGuire. I promptly read BD and the poceeded to to put this one off. I had a life changing experience reading BD. McGuire grabbed me with her story telling, she made me fall in love, she broke my heart and then she made it all better. I wanted this series to live up to that feeling, I didn't want to feel let down. In a word, I was nervous.


McGuire has very firmly rooted herself into my top favorite author catagory. And this is only after two books. I can't wait to read the rest of this series and see how I feel afterward. Will my feelings change by the end? Will she grow in my affections or will I be disappointed? Only time will tell.

 When I first started reading this book I had a really hard time getting through the first chapter. I lost my Dad several months ago and watching Nina go through that was difficult to say the lease. To see thoughts that passed through my head as I stood beside his bed in those last moments printed right there in front of my eyes, was heartwrenching. It made me feel as she was feeling. That lost feeling after it is over, the feeling of "what now" that just wont go away. But soon the story started to take on a new life. I was able to seperate my own personal experiences and get totally lost in the story. Jared and Nina have a love that is trancendant. I cant see anything ever tearing that away from them. Although, I know there is so much more to come. I have theories where Ryan is concerned, who his true happy ending is going to be. I really can't say a whole lot more with out spoilers so I am going to wrap it up with this. If you are looking for a really good love story with a touch of the supernatural.....here ya go!

Happy Reading!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment