Monday, August 29, 2011

Shade/Shift by Jeri Smith Ready

  I wanted to give you my thoughts on Shade and Shift and could not think how I could do that without one review running over to the other so this one will be a two-fer!

5/5 Stars

Love ties them together. Death can't tear them apart. Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan's band playing a critical gig and Aura's plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend's life. She never thought it would be his last.
Logan's sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He's gone.
Well, sort of.
Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and hear ghosts. This mysterious ability has always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan’s violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.
It doesn't help that Aura’s new friend Zachary is so understanding—and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.
As Aura's relationships with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura's heart…and clues to the secret of the Shift.

5/5 Stars
Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.
As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart




Descriptions are from Amazon.com



My Thoughts: I was browsing through some of my favorite book blogs one day several months ago and came across reviews for Shift the much anticipated sequel to Shade by Jeri Smith Ready. Ok it is probably important that I add that the closest book store to where I live (down here in Nowhere, Usa) is like 50 miles away. The first thing that popped in my head was, "Grrr, why must I always be the last to know about a series?" The second was to take a moment to silently thank my husband for the ipad he bought me for my birthday. Third, go to the ibook store, find Shade, hide my inner squeal because they had the book I was looking for, click download and wait the obligatory 30 seconds while it travels from out there in the book universe down to me. Okay...so yeah... that is also fourth, fifth and so on.
Anyway, I turn to page one and BAM automatic hook! No there was not several chapters as you get to know the main character and the plot. Ready had me from the first page. After the first couple of chapters I finally realized I had been holding my breath so I exhaled. That is the exact moment that I spoke silently to myself.... "This book is the best thing to happen to me all year!". Over-dramatic you say? Well I would have to agree because I can now say that Shade was not the best thing to happen to me all year. That moment actually came the next day when I once again went through the afore mentioned process and purchaed Shift! Which I might add was then promptly followed by the worst moment of 2011. Not twenty-four hours after I read page one of Shift, I flipped the last page and was greeted by the following; LOOK FOR SHINE DUE OUT....2012. 2012? Really? How can I wait a year? What will I do in the meantime? I'll tell you what I have done. I have become a complete stalker. I have found Jeri Smith Ready, not only on Facebook but I also found her blog which I now follow. I find myself stopping by regularly to see if there are any little tidbits of information. I am just shy of hiding in the bushes outside of her residence. I don't know where she lives so you can see how this might pose a problem ;)
Okay, I think I have made my feelings clear on this trilogy so I will wrap up by saying this. Yes, these are YA but they are mature YA. If you don't read YA because you think they are too, well, "young", give these books a chance you will not be disappointed. And just to throw this out there, in the highly unlikely event that Jeri Smith Ready were to ever stumble upon this review. I am so open to an ARC. I would probably drop dead from a heart attack but, Hey, at least I would go happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment